Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Blessing Journal


blogging from Indiana....


So, I am reading this book entitled, "Thriving on One Income" by Kimberly Eddy. I am always looking for more encouragement in the area of budgeting and finances. It's been a great book so far-I am on chapter10. Chapter 8 is entitled, "The Blessing Journal." At the beginning of the chapter, she quotes Psalm 145:2-5:



"Every day I will bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable. One generation will praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts. I will speak of the glorious honor of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works."




In this chapter, she talks about how when she saw this commandment in scripture, she wondered how she could ever obey since they were-at the time-just "barely scraping by." Inspired by a project her daughter's Sunday school class did, she decided to start a blessings journal. In it she would write down each blessing she received from God and every thing she was thankful for. She says, in her book, "I have learned that my husband may get payed on Thursdays, but my God provides for me everyday." She did this to not only to look back on "what the Lord hath done" on her down days, but also to help her to see all of God's provisions every day!


Well, she has inspired me. I want to share some financial blessings God gave us this past week. I'd love to hear from you, too! ......


1. He gave us 2 tubs of clothes for Nehemiah in size 18 months-which just "happened to be the size we needed for him!


2. He provided for our daughter to go to the Puzzle Dome with a friend who's parents said they wanted to pay since they invited her!


3. We had got a gift card for Christmas to a restaurant, which went out of business before we could use the card. So, the company reimbursed our money and we used it Sunday when we went to eat with some friends from church.


4. Someone gave me a gift card for my birthday to a clothing store!


5. On Saturday, I found a brand new pair of jeans with the labels on them (old navy) for only $8 at a consignment shop, where I also got my daughter a Laura Ashley easter dress for $6!


6. My parents paid for dinner for the girls and I tonight at their church.


7. The Lord provided a hotel room and a car rental free for my husband while in Seattle.


And, I'm sure there are more...but my brain is only so big with three kids!;) It's so good to remember what the Lord has done. He is bigger than our paychecks or our budgets.


"Do you have food and clothing? Thank Him. That's all He says we TRULY need, and yet He provides us with so much more, doesn't He?"



1 comment:

Cari Chase said...

Amen! How awesome is our God? You are an inspiration to me, too. I know that God will continue to provide for you and your family. I pray that your trip will be one that you treasure for years to come. I love you. Can't wait until you are back home!