Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Growing Weary?

"And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we will reap if we faint not."
Galatians 6:9

"...The Christian life is NOT a task. The Christian life ALONE is worthy of the name life. ..It is the life the Son of God Himself lived....I [must] remind myself it is a great and good life, it is 'well doing.'...How have I gotten into this life-this life that I am..finding hard and difficult?..There is only one answer. We have come from that to this because the only begotten Son of God left heaven and came down to earth for our salvation, He divested Himself of all the insignia of His eternal glory and humbled Himself to be born as a babe and to be placed in a manger, spat upon and reviled. He had thorns thrust into His head and was nailed to a cross, to bear the punishment of my sin. That is how I have come from that to this, and if I ever, even for a fraction of a second, question the greatness and the glory and the nobility of this walk in which I am engaged, well then I am spitting upon Him. Out upon the suggestion! 'Be not weary in well doing!' My friend, if you think of your Christian life in any shape or form...as a wearisome task or duty, I tell you to go back to the beginning of your life, retrace your steps to the wicket gate through which you passed. Look at the world in its evil and sin, look at the hell to which it was leading you, and then look forward and realize that you are set in the midst of the most glorious campaign into which a man could ever enter, and that you are on the noblest road that the world has ever known."

"...The world is too much with us, that is our trouble.."

(D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Spiritual Depression)

No comments: