Monday, August 04, 2008

What To Do With All That Zucchini???

If you're like me, you're a bit overrun with zucchini this time of the year. We don't have it in our own personal garden, but we have gotten alot from our cropshare, and I keep having people "offer" some of their zucchini to me. I'm not a big zucchini lover...unless it's loaded with sugar, as in zucchini bread or zucchini chocolate cake! So, I went on the hunt last week for zucchini recipes, found this one on Allrecipes.com and had to share! It was SO yummy! We had steak with it (which I got with a price match at Wal-Mart! It was chuck eye steak, that was normally $4.89/lb and I got for $1.99/lb because Pic-Pac had it on sale! Just a sidenote...we don't often have steak!), and although the steak was good, I just wanted more zucchini pie! I would love to do this with all my zucchini every week, if it weren't for the caloric content...because you can't eat just one small piece. So, even if you are fickle with zucchini, as I am, give this one a try..and let me know how you like it! :) (sorry I dont' have a photo of it!)

Mom's Zucchini Pie

1 (8oz.) pkg refrigerated crescent rolls (I used the reduced fat one)
1/4 cup margarine
4 cups sliced zucchini
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella (I used a mozzarella/provolone mixture that was fabulous, but you can use any reduced fat cheese here as a substitute..I wouldn't use fat free, though. It never bakes well)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll crescent rolls, and press into a 9 inch pie pan, covering sides and bottom.
2. Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat, and cook til the zucchini and onion are tender. Season with parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Remove skillet from heat, and mix in the eggs and cheese.
3. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: