Friday, December 17, 2010

Merry Christmas week (almost!)


Wow! Christmas is next week! How did this happen? This Christmas season has FLOWN for me! Sorry I haven't written in awhile. It's been busy around here, and at times in the past few weeks, my mind has been distracted.

We still haven't sold our house in Kentucky. I realize this is God's will for us, and we continue to trust our God, that He has a greater purpose for us in NOT selling it at this time. This causes us more and more to rely on Him and humble ourselves before Him. He is in control. We trust that. At the same time, we are weak and frail and struggle through it, reminding ourselves daily of who He is and that He changes not. However, He has given us peace and we know He has good in all of this for us. I'll keep you updated!

This has been a simple Christmas season. And, I'm thankful for that. We haven't been bombarded with 'hustle and bustle.' It's a simple "giving" Christmas..which means, we're not giving alot to our kids and family! :) But, we realize this is good for them. :) So, I really haven't been running here and there buying. So, I guess that's kept it low-key.

We had a some sweet new friends here loan us one of their Christmas trees. Shane brought back four Christmas totes from Kentucky last time he went as a surprise to me. :) He just kind of randomly grabbed a few and made sure to get the ones with our stockings (the only thing I asked him to bring back). He surprised me with our manger, however he left "baby Jesus and His family" back in Kentucky! :) ha!

We decided just to put up some white lights on the tree, a fabric garland I made years ago in California (when we had no decorations!), and make paper snowflakes to keep it simple. I found some green burlap I had bought last year and used as a table runner and used that as our tree skirt. However, I think it's one of my favorite trees we've had. :) Simple is good. I guess it just felt "homey" to me, somehow. With all the snow coming down in Northern Indiana, it's been a very comfy Christmas. We are home. We have each other. We have Christ. I couldn't ask for more.

5 comments:

Gia Cooper said...

Since we've had children, we decorate our tree with mostly home made ornaments. It was safest, in my mind. We string marshmallows (popcorn breaks apart if you aren't careful) and a few years ago I cut delicate little snowflakes. I get so many compliments because it looks...charming. Like you tree. Wishing you an unforgettable Christmas back in Indiana. ;)

Kari said...

Thanks, Gia! Merry Christmas to you, too! I thought of doing popcorn and cranberries, but I tried that one year...so much work! :) Although, I read this year that if you let the popcorn sit out and go stale, it helps. :) I'd love to see a picture of your tree. Give Carrie a hug for me if you see her. She's been on my mind alot lately!

Gia Cooper said...

Will do. I should see them this upcoming week at some point. She's very happy...as a newlywed. ;)

Kari said...

She didn't tell me she got married! I thought she might have. I keep trying to contact her with no luck. Doesn't seem she's much interested in getting back in touch, but I understand...life has gone on and she's moved on, with new friends. Doesn't change how I've always felt about her. I tried to call, but her number has changed, and I've emailed a few times. Emails weren't sent back, so I guess she just didn't respond. But, I am still praying for her and missing her! :) It's always been nice to catch up with her every so often. She holds a dear place in my heart. :)

Gia Cooper said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that the last few months and weeks have been chaotic and stressful. I will make sure to let her know you are thinking of her. The best kinds of friends are the kind that love us through time.