Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My homemade pancake syrup


One day I was making pancakes (recipe below) and realized I was out of pancake syrup. I knew I had seen a recipe for pancake syrup in one of my Tightwad Gazette books-which are invaluable, by the way! :) So, I made it up, and my family loved it. Now, for the most part, I just make my own. The kids ask for my syrup over store-bought! :) And, it's economical, too.


Pancake Syrup


3 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cups water

3 Tbsp. molasses

1 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. butter flavoring, optional

1 tsp. maple extract


Bring all to a boil, sitrring until sugar dissolves (a good rolling boil). Turn off burner, but leave pot on burner until bubbling stops. Makes about 30 oz. cost estimation: $0.90 for 30 oz.


My favorite pancake recipe is from my old youth pastor, Doug Ehrgott. He used to make up gallons of this stuff and we'd go, as a youth group, and serve the deadheads when the Grateful Dead were in town and witness to them by feeding them and showing them Jesus' love. It was alot of fun. Anyhow, these are awesome-my favorite to this day!


Doug's Pancakes


1 cup milk

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 egg

1 tbsp. oil

1 tbsp. brown sugar

1 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. baking soda

1 t. baking powder


Mix, stir, cook as normal. Makes 10 pancakes.


No comments: