Monday, April 04, 2011

My Prayer Today for Gratitude and Humility

(photo © kari mcgrath 2009)

Lord, today may I "sit on the ground before you", make myself low. Lord, make me a woman out of whom gratitude for your good gifts flows. May my gratitude be an overflow of a humble heart.


God, forgive me of pride-of an ungrateful, complaining spirit. Forgive me for being too often wrapped up in myself and thinking much of me and little of others. God, I whine and I become resentful when things don't go my way or I don't understand. Yet, I know you oppose the proud-you literally "stiff-arm" the proud. You keep them at a distance.


God, help me to humble myself, so that you will draw near to me and pour your grace today into my life. Cleanse and purify my heart, Lord. Give me victory over the "noisy, demanding tyrant of self." Enable me, by your spirit, to be a thankful woman, even when the circumstances surrounding me may not change.


God, teach me to be "wrapped up in Christ." Teach me, God, to think much of you and of others, and think little, if at all, of myself. God, anything I have is better than I deserve. Anything you provide is more than I deserve. God, you owe me nothing. Forgive me of ever feeling I am entitled to more. Forgive me of feeling I deserve an easy life. Forgive me of wanting everyone to love me or treat me well. I think too highly of myself, God.


Lord, I am so prideful. I am so weak. My faith is so small. Teach me your ways. Forgive me for doubting your goodness, of thinking I can trust myself better than you. Make me a woman after your heart, God. Make me a woman who knows you and trusts you. I believe, help my unbelief!


(personal prayer adapted from p. 183-184, "Choosing Gratitude" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I soooooo needed this today... thanks friend!

Kari said...

You are welcome. Glad to be walking this journey, not alone.